Sunday, September 25, 2005

On books

Of the reading of books there is no end. I don’t own that many books, fewer than 80. With only this many books, my personal library does not qualify as one belonging to a serious reader. I could own a lot more books, but I think I’m too cheap (okay, I know I’m too cheap). This may be why the public library is my favourite public place. And with interlibrary loans I can get books from all over the country, from small libraries in rural towns to large public university libraries holding over a million titles. Plus, I can also borrow books from other people. I’ve read books ranging from short biographies of missionaries to long anthologies of 17th century poetry simply by asking people if they have any books they can lend.

I wish, though, that I could be more like Erasmus: “When I have a little money, I buy books- if any is left, I buy food and clothes.”

No comments: