Monday, February 13, 2006

On Hymns

A quote in my hymnal, attributed to Martin Luther goes:

“I wish to see all arts, principally music, in the service of Him who gave and created them. Music is a fair and glorious gift of God. I would not for the world forego my humble share of music. Singers are never sorrowful, but are merry, and smile through their troubles in song. Music makes people kinder, gentler, more staid and reasonable. I am strongly persuaded that after theology there is no art than can be placed on a level with music; for besides theology, music is the only art capable of affording peace and joy of the heart…the devil flees before the sound of music almost as much as before the Word of God.”

C.S. Lewis notes that “for many people…music is the thing known in the present life which most strongly suggests ecstasy and infinity.”

As I write this I’m listening to a composition by Bach set to Psalm 51. Known as “the fifth Evangelist”, J.S. Bach evokes, through his music, heaven like none other I know. That his theology permeates everything he wrote can be seen (or heard) in the fact that his “secular” works sound just as “sacred” as his explicitly religious works (I recommend reading Bach Among the Theologians by Jaroslav Pelikan).

The main musical selections we get in church today are hymns and contemporary worship songs/choruses. For my money, contemporary songs don’t come close to hymns in conveying the depth of emotion, theological conviction, and intellectual formation of the Christian faith. Modern choruses give us, unfortunately (in my view) simply a baptized version of the ubiquitous romantic ballad. Just replace “boy” or “girl” or “him” or “her” with God or “Him”. There are a few contemporary songs I do like though. The next few posts will include my 20 favourite hymns. I might give a few of my favourite contemporary songs as well (at least the ones we sing in my church. If not for those I probably would have little or no exposure to them).

No comments: