Thursday, February 23, 2006

Favourite Hymn #19

Thine is the Glory

Thine is the glory, Risen, conquering Son;
Endless is the victory Thou o’er death hast won.
Angels in bright raiment Rolled the stone away,
Kept the folded graveclothes Where Thy body lay.

Refrain
Thine is the glory, Risen, conquering Son;
Endless is the victory Thou o’er death hast won.

Lo! Jesus meets us, Risen from the tomb;
Lovingly He greets us, Scatters fear and gloom.
Let His church with gladness Hymns of triumph sing,
For her Lord now liveth: Death hast lost its sting.

Refrain

No more we doubt Thee, Glorious Prince of life!
Life is naught without Thee: Aid us in our strife.
Make us more than conquerors, Through Thy deathless love:
Bring us safe through Jordan To Thy home above.

Refrain

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've heard that hymn before. I agree that the hymns offer us an aspect of reverance and truth that we often miss out on in contemporary music. A friend told me that they sang a Celine Dion song in church one time, just replacing the male figure with "God." That seems a little off to me.
You also commented about Bach earlier. He's definitely one of my favourite composers. I had an adult piano student for awhile who wanted to play Bach's music almost exclusively. His is the kind of music that makes your soul sing. :)

son of puddleglum said...

Bach rocks (in a manner of speaking)! If the only music I hear from now until I die is Bach's, I'll be happy. (I refer of course to Johann Sebastian. I've got nothing against Carl Philip Emmanuel and Johann Christian or even the other son (forget his name), but listening to J.S. is listening to the epitome of musical sublimity. (I even used to play some Bach, but I was asked to discontinue...permanently. Smart request).

Anonymous said...

What the hey...? Who was the nerd that asked you to discontinue?

A favourite quote:
"Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music if no birds sang their song except those who sang best." --Reverend Oliver G. Wilson