Sunday, May 06, 2007

Surprising News

Well known Christian philosopher, Francis Beckwith, has become a Roman Catholic, a return to the church of his youth. He has written extensively on pro-life, cultural, and political issues. I confess to being sympathetic to his move. The intellectual and artistic riches in the Catholic tradition are undeniable. My own reservations are theological (though I confess my limited knowledge of R. Catholicism theology). But I also have some reservations about being a Presbyterian (or at least attending a Pres. church). That church's guiding creed, the Westerminster Confession, contains a section equating papists with infidels and idolators, and the pope with the antichrist. Since I don't believe these to be true, perhaps I should leave the Presbyterian church for another denomination. On the other hand, I wholly accept the ecumenical creeds (Nicene, Chalcedon, Athanasian). I also have some problems with the whole free will/presdestination issue. I wonder if joining the Anglican church could allow me to have a foot in both worlds. Of course, stepping onto an apparently sinking ship is probably not the smartest thing to do right now.

No comments: